Temporary Use Permit

The zoning code of the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) regulates the type of uses that are allowed to take place on your property. A temporary use is established for a fixed period of time with the intent to discontinue the use at the end of that time. These uses require a Temporary Use Permit.

The following temporary uses are allowed in unincorporated Lake County with a permit.

Temporary Use Permits

  • Private, non-commercial events on the sponsor’s property such as home owners' associations picnics at the subdivision park, corporate picnics on the corporate campus, private weddings at a private residence or subdivision clubhouse, etc., are not considered events of public interest.
  • The UDO allows seven (7) events per calendar year. Each day is considered a separate event. If you intend to have more than seven (7) events, you will need to apply for a Conditional Use Permit in addition to a Temporary Use Permit.

The temporary use permitting process is coordinated by Permit Facility staff. Therefore you will not have to visit other county agencies such as Lake County Division of Transportation (LCDOT) or the Sheriff’s Office. In addition, Permit Facility staff will help you determine if you are required to apply separately for:

A Temporary Food Event Permit from the Health Department when food is to be served

  • A permit from the Liquor Commission when alcoholic beverages are to be served
  • Permits from non-county agencies such as a local fire department, IDNR, etc.