The Lake County Board Chair appoints more than 300 people to serve on various boards, commissions, and other special purpose units of government ranging from drainage and fire districts, to the transportation service boards, human services boards and the Board of Review.
Volunteer to Serve on a Government Board
When citizens participate in government, it enhances transparency, openness, as well as effectiveness because government officials benefit from citizens' input, perspective, and expertise. The Lake County Board is seeking volunteers to appoint to various boards, agencies, and commissions.
Standards of Conduct
As the appointing authority for over 70 local appointed units of government, the Chairman of the Lake County Board has established Standards for Appointees (PDF) that our nearly 300 appointees are required to follow.
- Ordinance implementing the authority permitted pursuant to Illinois Public Act 098-0779 to require County Board appointed board or commission members to adopt the Lake County Standards of Conduct (PDF)
- Lake County Standards of Conduct for Appointed Officials to Boards and Commissions (PDF)
- Find a board or commission that you're interested in serving on by browsing the list below. (You can view the entire list of board/commissions and descriptions.)
- Click on the name to learn more about the board. Note: When you click on a link, it will take you to a different website. Click on the "Description" tab for information on the purpose, function, term, contact info, and qualifications for the position.
- Once you've found a board that you're interested in serving on, check the vacancy column to see if there is a vacancy.
- Are you eligible? In some cases, you simply have to be a Lake County resident. In other cases, you have to live in the specific district. If so, click on the district map. In other cases, you can search by your address to see if the public body is listed in your taxing district.
- Click to apply and complete the online form. A Lake County staff member will follow up with you.