Birth of the County Highway System

The County Highway System of roadways began with the adoption of the Illinois Highway Code on July 1, 1959.

This gave the Lake County Highway Department complete jurisdiction over any state-aid road which it constructed and maintained, selected highways which were improved and maintained as Federal Aid Secondary Highways, and any county highways which were constructed after July 1, 1959.

During this period of expansion, Lake County constructed new sections of roads to connect to existing segments, completing roads such as Washington Street.
1912 election material