Navigate Up
Sign In
Clerk of the Circuit Court  
New litigation
The civil division accepts all new civil filings, with the exception of small claims. 
Small claims cases must be filed with the small claims division. 
Once a case has been filed, the clerks are responsible for a number
of processes involved in each case:
  • Answering all telephone inquiries regarding specific cases
  • Issuing summons and subpoenas in all on-going cases
  • Issuing post-judgment garnishments
  • Filing and recording documents for all cases
  • Setting court dates for various matters

How do I set up a Motion to see a Judge?
If you are an attorney, you may either call the Judge’s clerk directly for a date or you may request a date in person at the Circuit Clerk’s Office.  If you are Pro Se (representing yourself), you must come to the Circuit Clerk’s Office to set up a Motion date.
Can I fax or email a document to the Circuit Clerk’s Office for filing?
Documents for filing must be done in person at the Circuit Clerk’s Office, sent through the mail or sent in by a messenger service.  We DO NOT accept filings or requests for forms by fax.
  What if a form or packet that I need is not online?
You may come to the Circuit Clerk’s Office to pick up the forms or packets.  You may also request through the mail by sending a letter of request and a self-addressed stamped envelope.  We DO NOT fax forms.
  Can I view case information online?
Case information is not available online.  You may call the Circuit Clerk’s Office for case information or come into our office and use the public access terminals.  We have several public access terminals that are available Monday through Friday from 8:30 to 5:00.
I need to take the father or mother of my child to court for child support.  What do I need to do?
You may obtain an attorney.  The Lake County Bar Association at 847.244.3140 can give you attorney or legal service referrals.  You may also contact the State’s Attorney Child Support Division at 847.377.3131 to see if you qualify for their services.  If you do not want an attorney and want to file for child support on your own, you may go to the Law Library 847.377.2800 located on the main floor of the Courthouse to see if they have forms or obtain forms from another source.
 Do you accept Discovery filings?
No, we do not accept Discovery filings.  However, we do accept a Proof of Service or Certificate of Service in lieu of the actual document.
Do you need a cover sheet for new case filings?
Yes.  There is a cover sheet for civil suits and one for divorce/family cases.  They are called Certificate of Attorney.  
Do you accept personal checks?
No, we do not accept personal checks.  We will accept cash, credit cards, money order, cashier’s checks and certified checks made payable to “Clerk of the Circuit Court”. 

Contact Us
Parking and Directions
Website Disclaimer
Site Map
Lake County, Illinois
18 N. County Street
Waukegan, IL 60085
About Our County
Alert Lake County
Find Help
Contact Information

Keith Brin, Clerk of the Circuit Court
18 N. County St.
Waukegan, IL 60085

Phone: 847.377.3380


Monday through Friday
8:30 - 5:00

Related Links