Building Permit for Alterations/Additions to a House
A Building Permit is required for alterations and/or additions to an existing house. A Site Development Permit may also be required depending on site conditions. Applicability will be determined by staff at the time of the building permit application. A special inspection is required (sometimes prior to application) to determine if the proposed use will meet all the applicable codes. Please call the Building and Code Enforcement office at 847.377.2600 to schedule a special inspection.
Some of the examples of alterations or additions are:
- House addition
- Attached Garage
What Do I Need?
How Do I Apply?
Visit the Planning, Building and Development Department - Building & Code Enforcement office located in the Lake County Central Permit Facility, 500 W. Winchester Rd. Libertyville, IL 60048. Your application must be made in person, by either the property owner or authorized agent.
- The legal description of the property or Property Index Number (PIN).
- Application Form (To expedite the permit process, complete as much of the form as you can before coming to the Permit Facility.)
- Three (3) plot plans showing the location, dimensions and setbacks of all structures, proposed and existing. A Health Department approval stamp is required on all plot plans if property is served by a septic system (Individual Sewage Disposal (ISD) system).
- Two (2) complete sets of building plans. A Health Department approval stamp may be required on building plans if property is served by septic (ISD). Five (5) complete sets of building plans required if the property is in the floodplain.
- Health Department approval regarding the location and size of well (If applicable).
- A drawing showing truss design which meets the following minimum design requirements:
- Live load of the top cord for all roof trusses shall be at least 30 pounds per square foot and live load of the top cord for all floor trusses shall be at least 40 pounds per square foot.
- Size and material of each truss member shall be noted on the drawing
- The drawing shall contain original signed and sealed truss certificate that states: “The design hereon was made under my direct supervision and conforms to the Building Code of Lake County, IL”. The certificate must be signed and sealed by a registered structural engineer or architect, registered in the State of Illinois.
- Applicable permit fees are required at the time of application. A check, cash or credit/debit card are accepted.
How Much Will My Permit Cost?
Permit fees are based on the volume in cubic feet of your new construction. In addition, there are flat fees for building utilities such as electric, heat, plumbing fixtures, etc. For more information see the Land Development Fee Schedule
So Now That I've Applied - What's Next?
- Your application will be reviewed for compliance with building and zoning regulations. If your project is in compliance with all the applicable codes and ordinances, you should receive your building permit in about 15 business days from the date of application.
- Your project will require inspections at various stages of construction.