Commercial Building Permit Requirements – (New Buildings, Alterations and Additions, Change of Use)
The construction of a new commercial building, alterations or additions to an existing commercial building and/or changing the use of the building form one use group to another requires a building permit. A Site Development Permit
may also be required. The applicability will be determined by staff at the time of building permit application. A special inspection is required for constructing an addition, altering an existing structure or changing the use of structure. Please contact the Building and Code Enforcement Division to schedule a special inspection.
If the site contains/will contain a septic system (Individual Sewage Disposal (ISD) system) and/or well, the Lake County Health Department approval is also required.
Please contact your local fire protection district to determine if any additional fire prevention codes will be applicable.
How Do I Apply?
Visit the Planning, Building and Development Department - Building & Code Enforcement office located in the Lake County Central Permit Facility, 500 W. Winchester Rd. Libertyville, IL 60048. Your application must be made in person, by either the property owner or authorized agent.
What Do I Need?
- The legal description of the property or the Property Index Number- PIN
- Application Form (To expedite the permit process, complete as much of the form as you can before coming to the Permit Facility.)
- Three (3) plot plans showing the location, dimensions and setbacks of all structures, proposed and existing. A Health Department approval stamp is required on all plot plans if property is served by a septic system (ISD).
- Three (3) complete sets of building plans, each page stamped by an Illinois Registered Architect, Structural Engineer or Professional Engineer. Five (5) complete sets of building plans required if the property is in the floodplain/flood table. Health Department approval stamp required on all sets of building plans if property is served by septic (ISD).
- Sanitary Facilities:
- Sewer: Proof of payment for connection from the agency having jurisdiction (if applicable)
Exception: A letter may be submitted from the utility company stating they have no objection to the issuance of a permit prior to the payment of connection fees.
- Water facilities:
- Well: Health Department approval regarding the location and size of well (If applicable).
- Public Water/Community Well: Proof of payment for connection from the agency having jurisdiction
- A drawing showing truss design which meets the following minimum design requirements:
- Live load of the top cord for all roof trusses shall be at least 30 pounds per square foot
- Live load of the top cord for all floor trusses shall depend the use of the building and the location of the floor truss in the building (e.g. corridor, office space)
- Size and material of each truss member shall be noted on the drawing.
- The drawing shall contain original signed and sealed truss certificate that states: “The design hereon was made under my direct supervision and conforms to the Building Code of Lake County, IL”. The certificate must be signed and sealed by a registered structural engineer or architect, registered in the State of Illinois.
- Applicable permit fees are required at the time of application. A check, cash or credit/debit card are accepted.
So Now That I've Applied - What's Next?
- Your application will be reviewed for compliance with building and zoning regulations. If your project is in compliance with all the applicable codes and ordinances, you should receive your building permit in about 15 business days from the date of application.
- Your project will require inspections at various stages of construction.