Building Permit for a New House
The construction of a new single family or two family dwelling in unincorporated Lake County requires a Building Permit and a Site Development Permit.
If the site will contain a septic system (Individual Sewage Disposal (ISD) system) and/or water well, a Lake County Health Department approval is also required.
How Do I Apply?
Visit the Planning, Building and Development Department - Building & Code Enforcement office located in the Lake County Central Permit Facility, 500 W. Winchester Rd. Libertyville, IL 60048. Your application must be made in person, by either the property owner or authorized agent.
What Do I Need?
- The address of your property or the Property Index Number (PIN)
- Application Form (To expedite the permit process, complete as much of the form as you can before coming to the Permit Facility.)
- Five (5) sets of grading plans (ten (10) sets if on septic) showing the location, dimensions and setbacks of all structures, proposed and existing.
- Two (2) complete sets of building plans. An additional two (2) complete sets of building plans required if the property is in the floodplain/flood table. A Health Department approval stamp is required on all sets of building plans if property is served by septic (ISD).
- Water facilities:
- Well: Health Department approval regarding the location and size of well (If applicable).
- Public Water/Community Well: Proof of payment for connection from the agency having jurisdiction
- Proof of payment for connection to sanitary sewer from the agency having jurisdiction (if applicable).
- Exception: A letter may be submitted from the utility company stating they have no objection to the issuance of a permit prior to the payment of connection fees.
- A drawing showing truss design which meets the following minimum design requirements:
- Live load of the top cord for all roof trusses shall be at least 30 pounds per square foot and live load of the top cord for all floor trusses shall be at least 40 pounds per square foot.
- Size and material of each truss member shall be noted on the drawing
- The drawing shall contain original signed and sealed truss certificate that states: “The design hereon was made under my direct supervision and conforms to the Building Code of Lake County, IL”. The certificate must be signed and sealed by a registered structural engineer or architect, registered in the State of Illinois.
- Proof of payment for all school agreements (if applicable). Please call the Regional Office of Education – 847.543.7833 for more information.
- Lake County Construction and Demolition Debris Recycling Compliance Report must be completed by the applicant and submitted not less than ten (10) business days prior to the final inspection of any new construction, renovation, and/or demolition projects of 1,500 square feet or greater gross floor area.
- Applicable permit fees are required at the time of application. A check, cash or credit/debit card are accepted.
How Much Will My Permit Cost?
Permit fees are based on the volume in cubic feet of your new construction. In addition, there are flat fees for building utilities such as electric, heat, plumbing fixtures, etc. For more information see the Land Development Fee Schedule
So Now That I've Applied - What's Next?
- Your application will be reviewed for compliance with building and zoning regulations. If your project is in compliance with all the applicable codes and ordinances, you should receive your building permit in about 15 business days from the date of application.
- Your project will require inspections at various stages of construction.