Building Permit for Residential Accessory Structures
A Building Permit is required for residential accessory structures. A Site Development Permit may also be required depending on the specific site conditions. Applicability will be determined by staff at the time of building permit application.
Please contact your local fire protection district to determine if any additional fire prevention codes will be applicable.
Some of the examples of accessory structures are:
- Detached Garage
- Storage Shed
- Detached Deck
- Swimming Pool
How Do I Apply?
Visit the Planning, Building and Development Department - Building & Code Enforcement office located in the Lake County Central Permit Facility, 500 W. Winchester Rd. Libertyville, IL 60048. Your application must be made in person, by either the property owner or authorized agent.
What Do I Need?
- The address of the property or the Property Index Number (PIN)
- Application Form (To expedite the permit process, complete as much of the form as you can before coming to the Permit Facility.)
- Three (3) site plans showing the location, dimensions and setbacks of all structures, proposed and existing.
- Two (2) complete sets of building plans
- A drawing showing truss design which meets the following minimum design requirements:
- Live load of the top cord for all roof trusses shall be at least 30 pounds per square foot and live load of the top cord for all floor trusses shall be at least 40 pounds per square foot.
- Size and material of each truss member shall be noted on the drawing.
- The drawing shall contain original signed and sealed truss certificate that states: “The design hereon was made under my direct supervision and conforms to the Building Code of Lake County, IL”. The certificate must be signed and sealed by a registered structural engineer or architect, registered in the State of Illinois.
- Lake County Construction and Demolition Debris Recycling Compliance Report must be completed by the applicant and submitted not less than ten (10) business days prior to the final inspection of any new construction, renovation, and/or demolition projects of 1,500 square feet or greater gross floor area.
- Applicable permit fees are required at the time of application. A check, cash or credit/debit card are accepted.
How Much Will My Permit Cost?
Permit fees are based on the volume in cubic feet of your new construction. In addition, there are flat fees for building utilities such as electric, heat, plumbing fixtures, etc. For more information see the Land Development Fee Schedule
So Now That I've Applied - What's Next?
- Your application will be reviewed for compliance with building and zoning regulations. If your project is in compliance with all the applicable codes and ordinances, you should receive your building permit in about 15 business days from the date of application.
- Your project will require inspections at various stages of construction.