We are located in the Lake County Central Permit Facility in the County's Libertyville Campus.
The Lake County Code of Ordinances is Now Available to the Public
Lake County has worked with each department and elected office to compile and codify all County Codes and Ordinances. Please contact the Planning, Building, and Development Department at 847.377.2600 with any questions.
The Lake County Code is searchable, use the Lake County Code website’s “quick search” function to return search results from within all County Codes or use the (ctrl+f) search function built in to most browser to return search results from within the section of the Ordinance open in your browser window.
Use the link below to access the Lake County, Illinois Code of Ordinances and the Unified Development and Nuisance chapters of the Code.
Complete Lake County Code
Chapter 151 of the Lake County, Illinois Code of Ordinances (Formerly called the Lake County Unified Development Ordinance) is located within Title XV: Land Usage
Chapter 94 of the Lake County, Illinois Code of Ordinances (Formerly called the Lake County Nuisance Ordinance) is located within Title IX: General Regulations
Welcome to the Planning, Building and Development Department website!
Thank you for visiting our website. We hope that the information you find here is useful and informative. If there is any information that you cannot find, please contact our office at 847.377.2600
The main functions of the Department are:
Planning for a Better Lake County
- By preparing studies and creating and implementing plans that support the goals of the Lake County Board (read more)
Protecting Residents and Property in Lake County
- By reviewing building permits; conducting inspections for zoning and building code compliance; and responding to inquiries regarding building codes and nuisances in unincorporated Lake County (read more)
- By administering the county's zoning and subdivision regulations in unincorporated Lake County (read more)
Protecting the Natural Environment
- By reviewing and implementing stormwater management and erosion control plans in unincorporated Lake County; overseeing National Flood Insurance Program; and coordinating wetland delineation, protection and permitting activities (read more)
Assisting Low-Income People and Communities
- By planning for and administering funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and from the Lake County Board to benefit low and moderate income residents of all Lake County (read more)
Some of the services we offer include:
Policies and goals for land use infrastructure, housing, employment, natural features, open space and community design
- Code Enforcement & Property Complaints
Enforcement of zoning, building, environmental protection, and nuisance codes
Funding for Lake County agencies and municipalities to assist low income individuals
Building, zoning, site development and natural resource inspections
- Aerial Photography
Aerial photography for selected years between 1939 and 2012
- Permits and Approvals
- Building and Site Development Permit review and approval
- Subdivision and street vacation application processing and reviews
- Zoning determinations, allowed use of properties, environmental review and natural resource protection, zoning and development options
Demographic, socio-economic, housing, land use and other planning related information