Lake County's strategic plan serves as a road map for county government over the next several years. The County obtained input into its plan at five community forums and through its website. The public recommended the County focus more on communication and civic engagement, efficiency, partnership and collaboration, and prevention. The County is making progress toward these goals.
Statement of Values
- Enhance Economic Opportunities - Foster balanced growth and a diverse economy to provide living wage jobs, housing, and economic opportunities.
- Promote a Sustainable Environment - Preserve the health of our natural resources and our drinking water through the widespread use of sustainable and environmental management practices, effective storm water management and the enhancement and rehabilitation of lakes, wetlands and other fragile ecological systems.
- Build Healthy and Resilient Communities - Maintain well-being of residents, focusing on the availability of accessible health services for families, the aging population, and other populations in need.
- Provide Public Safety - Enhance the safety of residents through an integrated criminal justice system, including law enforcement and other programs that reduce crime, recidivism, family violence and substance abuse.
- Reduce Congestion and Improve Transportation in Lake County - Promote development of State, County, and municipal transportation systems that provide for efficient, flexible and uncongested movement through an integrated network of road, rail, public transit, and non-motorized (bicycle, pedestrian) modes of travel.
Lake County government carries out its mission and conducts its business activities adhering to a set of values. These values influence everything we do.
Fiscal Responsibility- Uphold fiscal integrity, make performance-driven decisions based on long-term impacts, manage priorities and maintain sustainable and prudent financial operations.
- A balanced budget
- AAA bond rating – the highest credit rating possible
- Low debt service (1% of budget) because the County Board adheres to a simple philosophy - save money and pay for big capital projects with cash.
Exceptional Service- Deliver cost-effective, efficient and high quality services, placing a high value on professionalism, responsiveness and courtesy.
• E-Gov Services (On-line court records/E-filing)
• Public Works Automated Meter Reading
• Performance Measurements – We evaluate and report on our performance to make even smarter budget decisions in the future.
Leadership- Provide leadership in communicating, interacting and cooperating with residents, businesses, other governments, and stakeholders leading to innovative regional collaboration and improved quality of life throughout Lake County. Pursue opportunities for increased efficiency and cost savings by collaborating with other government entities.
• Shared Services - We are collaborating with 20 other communities to jointly contract for services, cooperatively purchase goods, share services such as building inspections, as well as explore other opportunities to operate efficiently.
Environmental Stewardship- Promote and encourage environmental sustainability.
• The 2014 budget includes a full-time sustainability coordinator who will focus on Lake County sustainability efforts.
Lake County government is committed to promoting and sustaining a safe, healthy, vibrant and environmentally responsible county, while maintaining its strong financial position. In partnership with citizens, communities and all levels of government, we pledge to deliver efficient and high quality public services consistent with the community’s values and priorities.
We envision Lake County as a leader in developing a thriving and robust local economy, healthy natural environment, safe and livable communities, healthy residents, and innovative public services that are responsive to the diverse needs of all residents.