: Those homeowners that may depend on the U.S. Postal Service to "Temporarily Forward" their bill to a second location should be aware that due to new postal regulations, your future bills may not be forwarded as they have in the past. We ask those homeowners affected to please sign up for e-notification on our website. Once the annual tax bills are available, a notification will be mailed. Failure to receive a bill does not relieve the taxpayer of penalty if payment is late.
- Mail out over 264,000 tax bills.
- Collect over 2 billion dollars in taxes.
- Send out only ONE tax bill a year with TWO installment stubs attached (June & September). Tax bills are mailed the first week of May.
- Due dates are usually the first week of June and September, but actual date could change from year to year.
- To avoid penalties, payments must be US postmarked by the actual due date.
- Postmarked or received after the due date are deemed delinquent and shall bear penalty of 1 1/2% per month or portion thereof. Mobile Home penalty is $25.00 per month, maximum of 4 months.
- Lenders/Title Companies must pay a $5.00 duplicate bill fee for each parcel.
- Unsigned and postdated checks will not be held and may incur additional fees.
Payments can be made:
- In person at the Lake County Treasurer's Office, 18 N. County Street by cash, check (payable to County Collector) or by Discover Card (a fee is charged by the processing company of $6.00 to $38.00).
- On-line payments can be made with credit cards. An added fee of 2.35% is charged to each credit card transaction; this fee is added and collected by a third party credit card processing company. This fee will be shown separately from your tax amount on your credit card statement. Absolutely no additional funds are provided to any taxing district from these transactions. When using this option, please make sure your line of credit covers the tax payment amount as well as the additional fee.
- E-check online cost is $1.00 per transaction, maximum of $50,000.00, including fee.
- By phone with Interactive Voice Response (IVR), Phone # 1.877.690.3729, Jurisdiction code # 7021 will be needed to complete transaction.
- Automatic withdrawal from checking or saving account, application must be completed and received by the treasurer's office 14 days prior to the 1st installment.
- Payments can be made at most Lake County local banks. Banks will accept payments from the day the bills are released through the 2nd installment due date.
- Two drop box locations are open 24 hours a day for your convenience. The boxes are open from the day the bills go in the mail through the 2nd installment due date.
- E-banking: Those that pay their bills through their local bank's website should be aware that these payments do take additional time to be received and posted. It is extremely important that you add your Property Index Number to that record so the payment can be properly posted.
- All payments postmarked after the due date are considered delinquent.
- Last day to pay online to avoid Publication and Final Notice is October 8, 2014.
- Last day to pay to avoid Publication and Final Notice is October 15, 2014 by 5:00 pm.
- Final notices will be generated and mailed out in late October or early November. At that time an additional $10.00 will be added to the original bill and the penalty that has already accumulated.
- Certified funds will be required from November 3, 2014 through November 14, 2014 by 5:00 pm.
- Publication of all delinquencies will occur in local newspapers on October 30,2014
- Last day to make payments to avoid going to the tax sale is Friday, November 14, 2014. Postmarks will not be accepted. Payments must be entered into our tax system by 5:00 pm.
- Annual tax sale will be held on Monday, November 17, 2014 and Tuesday, November 18, 2014 at the Greenbelt Cultural Center, 1215 Green Bay Road, North Chicago, Illinois. An additional $94.00 per parcel will be added for the cost of the sale.
- All important dates - calendar
Robert Skidmore, Treasurer
18 N. County St., Rm. 102
Waukegan, IL 60085-4351
Monday through Friday
8:30 AM to 5:00 PM
Due Dates Only:
8:30 AM to 7:00 PM