Lake County Domestic Violence Council
The Lake County Domestic Violence Council was established at the request of the Lake County State's Attorney in conjunction with the Lake County Domestic Violence Task Force in 1994. Membership in the Council and its governing board is determined by these by-laws as ratified by resolution of the Lake County Board.
The purpose of the Lake County Domestic Violence Council shall be as follows:
A. To effectuate coordination between agencies, departments, and the courts with issues of domestic violence and abuse;
B. To promote effective prevention, intervention, and treatment techniques concerning domestic violence;
C. To improve the response to domestic violence and abuse so as to reduce incidents thereof; and
D. To promote effective community awareness and education about domestic violence and abuse.
The goals of the Lake County Domestic Violence Council are to:
· Enhance the ways in which agencies, departments, and the courts in Lake County respond to domestic violence and abuse in order to improve that response.
· Continue to improve the cooperation and coordination among all the participants in the system who assist victims of domestic violence and abuse.
· Make recommendations to the County Board, agencies, departments, the courts, and other regarding improving the response to domestic violence and abuse.
· Review legislation that relates to domestic violence and abuse and offer education and/or recommend appropriate action to the various entities working with the victims of domestic violence and abuse.
· Encourage and promote public education regarding domestic violence and abuse.
· Form committees to assist in planning, policy, goal, and priority recommendations, and such other functions as the Council deems necessary.
· Respond to related matters referred to the Council by the Lake County Board, the criminal justice system, and social service agencies working with domestic violence offenders and victims.
· To continually review the Lake County Domestic Violence Manual and monitor the procedures outlined for police, courts, the State's Attorney, and victim service providers.
· Develop a review process and recommend required standards to be adhered to by agencies who provide services to offenders of domestic violence and abuse.
· Ensure that the activities of the Council do no conflict with those of other board, commissions, and councils in Lake County. The Council shall endeavor to cooperate and coordinate with any other bodies with overlapping jurisdiction.